1. Open up the Windows 8 Personalization Control Panel
2. Once you have opened it, you can now on the left side see a couple links. Select the link Desktop icons
3. Next, you can see below that many of the desktop icons are unchecked. On your PC some might be checked. Once you uncheck them and click Apply the icons will disappear from your desktop completely.
4. If you want to change a desktop icon now, select the icon (either Computer, Network, Recycle Bin (Empty, Full), Control Panel) and click the button Change Icon as seen below:
5. When you click that button, Windows 8 will automatically load the file imageres.dll because that is where the default desktop icons for your computer are stored
6. Finally, click on Browse and go to a location where you stored your new icons e.g. C:icons
7. Keep in mind you can ONLY select files that use the format .ico – there are various online tool that can convert PNG files to ICO files as we reported here how to convert PNG to ico